UPDATED – Now Hiring: Executive Director
Executive Director, Children’s Museum of Yuma County, Inc.
Develop two important projects in the Yuma community, primarily the Children’s Museum of Yuma County, which is a 501(c)(3). The first years will be dedicated to planning and establishing the museum, then the position transitions to directing the museum by the target opening of fall 2018.
Primary duties/responsibilities include:
- Manage fundraising and develop/plan related events as supported by the board and volunteers.
- Working with the board and local stakeholders to administer the planning of the organization from the feasibility stage to opening. Responsible to compose and get board approval for a reasonable but fast project plan then to manage the project according to this work plan with regular progress reports to the board.
- Represent the museum and serving as a liaison to the local communityto generate excitement and support. This includes publicity and interaction/management of volunteer forces.
- Oversee development and use of interactive exhibits for summer time program running June through July (8 weeks) as hosted by the City of Yuma.
- Engages and informs all stakeholders through two-way, open, and ongoing communication
- Provides educational leadership, administrative direction, supervision, and technical assistance/support to staff as needed
The position is based in Yuma, Arizona and reports to the Board of Directors, Children’s Museum of Yuma County.
The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal communications skills and be creative, self-directed, energetic, a team player, and have experience in early childhood education, museum education, or equivalent, including experience in an informal learning environment. Other key attributes include leadership, management, and fundraising experience (both for operations and as part of a capital campaign), the ability to build collaborative relationships, financial savvy, a track record of results, and a passion for early childhood education.
- B.S. with emphasis on Business Administration, Education or other related field. Strong background in arts, industrial design, humanities, sciences or related areas e.g. early childhood education
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience with proven track record in strategic planning and development, project management, and policy development and related management
- 2 plus years of supervisory experience in relevant principles, practices and methods
- Knowledge of museums and have successful, creative experiences at managing teams and projects that meet goals
- Extensive project management experience including administering budgets, program records, reports, and documentation
- Experience in regulations and standards governing non-profit organizations
- Excellent planning, organization, and forecasting skills
- Communicating effectively in English, both orally and in writing, using proper grammar and vocabulary
- Demonstrating enthusiasm and interpersonal skills to relate well with the Board, staff and the community
- Organizing time and tasks; ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and independently
- Valid Driver’s License and the ability to pass a background check
- Demonstrated success in leadership roles developing innovative, audience appropriate exhibits and strategies
- Thorough knowledge of exhibition planning process
- Knowledge of best practices for working and using exhibits for children and design criteria for a young audience
- Appropriate professional certifications
Closing Date: January 2, 2017 at 5:00pm MST
Start Date: January 30, 2017
Terms of Employment: 12 Month Exempt Position (Contract – year)
Send resume to:
Human Resources Department
370 S. Main
Yuma, AZ 85364